Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bird Number One WIP 2

Due to the complexity of this model, I am using a hybrid approach here - Generating geometry from curves, edges, positive thinking.. Hey - I'm not picky. For now, I am concentrating on getting the basic structure sorted out.

Maya 2008's smooth preview is very helpful - and the features Barry mentioned in his last post are some of the main reasons I decided to bite the bullet and install it a home.

(That and the fact I have been using it at work since its release.)


As you can see things are not really far along just yet, as I am having to flesh out some aspects of the design as I go .


Because this guy is mechanical, as opposed to organic - I have to make sure all of these bits and bobbles will move correctly once assembled. That means a lot of minor adjustments as I rough in these pieces in a way which serves the design while allowing me to get the performance I need in the end. The frames here have the poly smooth preview on them for clarity - but the mesh I am actually working on can be seen in frame 1.

Also, I feel like the original concept bird is a little too friendly, so I may be tweaking the overall proportions some as I go.


Death from above!!!

1 comment:

barrymcw said...

Nice post, great start on the modeling. Looking forward to seeing more.

I got zero done today. I'll get a few hours tomorrow, I imagine, but nothing amazing. I should finish the UV's on the first building and then get started on the second. I'm doing a bit more work on these than is probably necessary but as our framing isn't 100% locked-down, I'm trying to set everything up to go high-rez if it turns out to be necessary.

Looking forward to more cool models.

Cheers.